The Webbers legacy started in 1906 when Fred S. Webber established the firm in Bloemfontein. He was the brother of the founder of the Johannesburg firm Webber Wentzel.
His son, Walter S. Webber, joined the firm as an article clerk in 1945 and became a partner in 1949, the first partner taken in by the founder since 1906. The name of the firm was changed to Fred S. Webber & Son. Jim Newdigate joined them in 1952 and became a partner in 1958. Fred retired from practice in 1962 shortly before his 83rd birthday.
The name of the firm was changed to Webber & Newdigate in 1971. Walter retired as a partner in 1980. In 1986, at the suggestion of Jim, the name of the firm was changed to Webbers. Jim retired as a partner in 1993.
Presently there are 18 attorneys and a support staff of more than 40 people available to cater for all our clients' legal needs.
A sister-firm, Webber Newdigate, opened its doors in Maseru, Lesotho in 1978 and is the biggest attorneys firm in Lesotho. Webber Newdigate is a founding member of Lex Africa, the first and largest African legal network with member firms in 24 countries.