Supreme Court of Appeal Department
This practice has an exceptional reputation amongst correspondents from all over the country. Our team is renowned for their unparalleled attention to detail as required in a court steeped in tradition. Having an excellent working relationship with the court officials, this practice offers a world class service and can assist clients with confidence in all matters relating to appeals.
Our services include:
- Serving and lodging appeal documents including Applications, Appeal Records and Heads of Argument.
- Checking Appeal Records and other documents to ensure that they comply with the Rules and Practice Directions of the Court.
- Liaising with the Office of the Registrar.
- Obtaining Court rolls and establishing the composition of the bench presiding over matters.
- Assistance in respect of all aspects of appeals and applications for leave to appeal.
- Advice and guidance on the Rules and Practice Directions of the Court.
- Drafting and taxation of bills of costs.
- Noting judgments and obtaining copies thereof.
History of the Supreme Court of Appeal
The Supreme Court of Appeal of South Africa is the successor to the Appellate Division, which was first established in 1910 when the Union of South Africa was established. The name of the Court was changed by the Constitution of 1996.
Supreme Court of Appeal contact details
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I calculate the 1 month in which to lodge my documents?
Application for leave
An Application for Leave to Appeal is due within 1 month from the date of the order of the Court a quo dismissing leave.
Notice of Appeal
The original Notice and Order must be filed with the Registrar of the Supreme Court of Appeal within 1 month from the date of the order granting leave.
The Record of Appeal is due within 3 months from the date of lodgement of the Notice of Appeal.
- 15 February – 31 March
- 01 May – 31 May
- 15 August - 30 September
- 01 November – 30 November
SCA Court Rolls
To view the latest SCA Court Roll, click on the following link: Supreme Court of Appeal Draft Roll August - September 2017